wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

View Poll Results: Would you like to have lived in the DDR/Did you like living in the DDR?
No, I would absolutely never have lived there/I hated it when I lived there... 131 40.56%
I would like to have lived there, but only for a short time to get to know the place 135 41.80%
I would love to have lived/I did like living there 46 14.24%
I don't care one way or the other 16 4.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like to have lived in the DDR?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
torstenbel

Question Would you like to have lived in the DDR?

Hi Guys, as a little continuation from my original 'Why are you interested in the DDR' Poll...I would now like to ask you: Would you like to have lived in the DDR? And maybe even start a little discussion about this subject??....of course, those of you, who have lived in the DDR should read the question as: Do you regret having lived in the DDR?

I for one do not regret having lived in the DDR. I never have done and I never will do. Life in the DDR was not all bad...after all, there were no unemployed, no homeless, no one was starving, there was hardly any crime, no one had to fear for their jobs and people were generally very friendly to eachother...of course, there were also other things that were not positive, but overall and in my opinion, it was a good place to live and to grow up...

what do you think? Cheers, Torsten.

Last edited by torstenbel; 10-22-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Vadim K
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by torstenbel
I for one do not regret having lived in the DDR. I never have done and I never will do. Life in the DDR was not all bad...after all, there were no unemployed, no homeless, no one was starving, there was hardly any crime, no one had to fear for their jobs and people were generally very friendly to eachother...of course, there were also other things that were not positive, but overall and in my opinion, it was a good place to live and to grow up...
You know, thats the same way I feel about having lived in the USSR. Many people would disagree with us though.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
Mike Dwyer

I guess because of the things I was taught when I was growing up, I doubt I would have wanted to have been a citizen of the DDR, but I wouldn't have minded at all to have visited or lived there for a while.

I did have the opportunity to ride the train from Berlin to the Bundesrepublik twice, and I went on a guided tour of East Berlin once.

But, if I'd been born a citizen of the DDR, then I wouldn't have known anything different and I imagine I would have been very proud of my country!

Old 10-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
Thälmannpionier

Quote:
I feel exactly the same way.

great idea for a Poll

Regards
Andreas

Last edited by Thälmannpionier; 10-22-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Roy Queen

Very good poll! Speaking for myself, I would have liked to have experienced life in the DDR, probably as a visitor. However, Torsten brings up very good points about job security, housing, etc. Just this week, I've attended Basic Corrections Officer Academy and was told that in my state, pretty much we (county corrections officers) have no job security, and that we work at the will of the sheriff.

On the other hand, I would not like the restrictions on religious practice.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Mike G.

Torsten,

You posed a very interesting question.

My Father-in-law was from East Germany (now deceased). And I visited East Berlin numerous times between 78 and 89, and went through East Germany a few times as well.

I can't say I would have liked the political aspect, given that a neighbor you have a difference with could turn you in as a political dissident and you actually could be jailed for such, or that if you were inclined to leave East Germany you couldn't (without risk of life), and travel in general was restricted. Also most businesses were turned over to the state and there were few privately owned businesses. The same was applicable to property.

But, I really did like how life was very much slower paced and less hectic, and people over in the East seemed to take it in much more.

All in all, I think unless things are really horrible, as they are in some third world countries, people are inclined to look favourably on where they were born, raised and grew up. I suspect if I had been born in East Germany during the Cold War, despite the reconciliation between East and West Germany, I would look upon the former East Germany with fond memories.

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 10-23-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
Viktor

Location: Kent Military District ( UK SSR), Workers Paradise.

My friend Sean wanted to emigrate there, in the mid 80's... he did all the sponsored visits with Families and cultural stuff ( which has come to light what that was all about) meet some interesting people who's ID card allowed him to over stay his vizier when shown to the Grenzers/ Zoll ... his paper work as just going through when......the wall came down..... .

Mind you he has a wife from the Harz mountains and their two children, live in a bilingually household, He is also a "Big "Union man and sometimes calls you "Comrade" at a Branch meetings.. so maybe he has bought it with him...

I for myself am happy were I was born as it made me, I'm also happy for my German Friends as it made them very fine people as well.

Peace.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
olivyaya

Quote:

This is what were are tought here at school... the meaning of the word "democracy" was not the same here in the west and there in the East... and I would say, the eastern type of democracy as Torstenbel describes it is much closer to my deep feelings than that we are living here with a greedy wealthy majority living without being concerned by the "excluded" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Gallagher
But, I really did like how life was very much slower paced and less hectic, and people over in the East seemed to take it in much more.
Mike, glad to read your words... that's the feeling I have had from all the documentaries I have seen ! This strange feeling has always struck me, and I thought it was just an impression !

Old 10-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
Dag

Torsten,

Good to see that I'm not alone after all! Despite what some members in another forum try to tell me.

Michael, Roy and olivyaya,

It is good to hear from people who grew up "on the other site" that this circumstance does not make you overlook the many good sides live in the GDR had. I knew your views, or expected such views from you, but it is nice to see them written down.

Vadim,

I have not been to Russia past 1990 (was in Minsk and Leningrad in 1984), but to Ukraine and just a few weeks ago to Baku. I met many people who share your (and Torstens and my) view about the past. ( Just for you: I recently watched the movie "Banja". Does that sound familiar?)

Last edited by Dag; 10-26-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
AR-11

Yes Torsten,
to that is barely to be added something... I fully agree with you and with Dag´s opinion.
As you know Guys, today Torsten, Dag and I live no more in the former area of the GDR. Maybe there still the "hidden" homesickness probably comes if we think of the GDR.
In addition, for myself, I had in the 70s a nice and relaxed childhood and youth.
We had had every chance to form themselves and to learn occupations.
I did not lack the travel freedom, actually. I did not know them.
All in all, there is for me no reason to be penitent to have lived in the GDR. I would do it again. I would further serve the land and would be proud of my native country.
Indeed, nevertheless, some years have passed and nobody can say which development would have taken everything...

AR-11

Old 04-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
NORE
Expelled

I like the poll,but do feel this question can´t be taken seriously,can it? What a lovely place the GDR was,haha gimme more of that. If that paradise hadn´t been such a run down shed why has it been sold off to the West? Just the thought that a country won´t want his people leave for a trip abroad is making clear what paradise was like in reality.Anyway have fun and live your Allzeit bereit.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
Kozlov

I see from your post history that the time spent in the more reactionary areas of this fine webserver seems to have tainted you... maybe this in itself is a model of the DDR ;-)

Old 04-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
NORE
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozlov
I see from your post history that the time spent in the more reactionary areas of this fine webserver seems to have tainted you... maybe this in itself is a model of the DDR ;-)
I don´t know for sure who you talking to? Anyway I had a laugh,yeah straight checking a post-history.....is that MfS für Anfänger?

Old 04-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
torstenbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE
I like the poll,but do feel this question can´t be taken seriously,can it? What a lovely place the GDR was,haha gimme more of that. If that paradise hadn´t been such a run down shed why has it been sold off to the West? Just the thought that a country won´t want his people leave for a trip abroad is making clear what paradise was like in reality.Anyway have fun and live your Allzeit bereit.
you may wish to re-read the question and the replies as i think that you may have mis-understood what i am trying to ask/say...there is no glorification of either eastern or western regimes in the question or the answers...and i do not think that i need to explain myself further still, as i feel that i have already done this adequately in my original starter post...anyhow, the purpose of this thread as well as with most other threads on this forum is to stimulate an exchange and discussion of opinions, no matter if they are all in agreement with eachother or not and i thank you for your opinion...cheers, torsten.

ps: uebrigens hiess das immer bereit! und nicht allzeit bereit!...;-)

Last edited by torstenbel; 04-22-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
Thälmannpionier

100% agree Torsten