wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

View Poll Results: Would you like to have lived in the DDR/Did you like living in the DDR?
No, I would absolutely never have lived there/I hated it when I lived there... 131 40.56%
I would like to have lived there, but only for a short time to get to know the place 135 41.80%
I would love to have lived/I did like living there 46 14.24%
I don't care one way or the other 16 4.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #196
Marc Shaffer
Association Member

I would like to visit simply to see if I could contact my relatives on my grandmother's side since they were separated back after the wall went up and she came to the USA with my grandfather. I'm sure that beyond the politics of things, everyday people are pretty much the same for the most part.

I'm curious as to what you folks that grew up or lived in East Germany think about the movie, "The Lives of Others" if you have seen that? It is about artists in East Germany and the intrusion by the Stasi into their lives. It is pretty good. The equipment used in the movie is all original Stasi used stuff.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #197
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Marc - I have posted a couple of threads from the DDR forum that may assist with your question or even to ask more. The two threads includes some comments from friends that lived in East Germany. :-)

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=191561

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=287104
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group