wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thälmannpionier View Post
cool Thread Kevin

I was together wit my dad that day and we collected mushrooms in the woods..when we came home my happy mother came straight up to us and said that they told in the news that the borders or checkpoints are open for the east german public...the whole neighbourhood was on their feet that day and were talking about that Happening.
It took another 3 days until we got the VISA and went to Berlin- Staaken..grabbed the 100,-DM "Welcome Money" ...and I got my first west german casette player that day and was so proud of it...a month later visited our relatives in the deep west...the Train journey was so exciting for me...even the train tracks were less noisier than in the east.

btw..I attended every Monday Demonstration in our town..and even held up a Sign;-hehehe
What was written on it?
In Berlin, they stamped the Visa Stamps directly at the Checkpoint's.
A lot of ID's were marked on the Picture in the first day's, what meant, Have a nice day in the West, but please don't come back. A last big Wakeup Call from Big Erich.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994
Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
B. Jones

Hello Everyone,

I was living at the U.S. Army's Patrick Henry Village in Heidelberg, West Germany. My Dad taped the episode from AFN on our VCR.

I turned 10 two days later on Nov 11, 1989 (I was born on Veteran's Day!).

A few days later I found out my sister's swim team was to play the Berlin American High School's Team in January of 1990.

I was excited that I'd finally get the chance to visit to West and East Berlin.

—Brian

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
Thälmannpionier

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
What was written on it?
In Berlin, they stamped the Visa Stamps directly at the Checkpoint's.
A lot of ID's were marked on the Picture in the first day's, what meant, Have a nice day in the West, but please don't come back. A last big Wakeup Call from Big Erich.

Nico,

you mean what was written on my Demo Sign?
if I remember correctly it was something like

"Wir wollen leben!!..nicht überleben"
(we want to live!!..not to survive)

Old 11-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thälmannpionier View Post
Nico,

you mean what was written on my Demo Sign?
if I remember correctly it was something like

"Wir wollen leben!!..nicht überleben"
(we want to live!!..not to survive)
Andreas,
thank you for this. It's something interesting and I can't remember these words seen before on Signs etc.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
ehrentitle

Ironically I was in Berlin exactly a month before the Wall fell to receive my award for service in the Berlin Brigade. Sadly I was not able to go back to Berlin until two weeks after I left company command in June 1990. Although it was just 8 months since the Wall fell East Berlin had already changed dramatically.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
ehrentitle

I went back to Berlin again one more time in June 1991 before I returned to the US at the end of my tour. I saw something in the Mitte in the former East Berlin that I'd never have imagined when I was stationed there in the late 1980s...

Last edited by ehrentitle; 11-10-2012 at 03:54 PM.

TV coverage
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Tom B

Default TV coverage

I was in bed with lady from across the hall....watching the TV coverage....in Louisville, Ky. I would have loved to had been there, but was happy where I was !!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrentitle View Post
I went back to Berlin again one more time in June 1991 before I returned to the US at the end of my tour. I saw something in the Mitte in the former East Berlin that I'd never have imagined when I was stationed there in the late 1980s...

I think I have one of these Posters somewhere also still on the Board.
Now it's just a German Volksfest and nobody knows if they can start a new one next Year after our Mayor said that nobody need's a relic of the Cold War anymore, so after TCA was opened for the Public for Fun and Recreation, but not for a Volksfest with F&R. That's the Revence for taking down the PdR.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
adlerfan53

8th grade.....even though I was young I remember this day. It was an awesome time. I don't know why I found it so fascinating at the time. I could feel the energy. I have a piece of the "Wall" on my desk in my classroom. The kids love it.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
Gene T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
I was in bed with lady from across the hall....
That whole day?!!

Man, you guys all have such great memory, and stamina!

I was glued to the TV as well, for weeks on end, and thoroughly neglecting my graduate course work, which I had just started. let's not forget that less than a month before the Wall came down, we had the Loma Prieta earthquake in California that managed to take down quite a few things, too; and not long before that, there was the Tiananmen incident in China ... It had already been an unbelievably eventful year by the time the Berliners were knocking down the Wall with sledge hammers. Perhaps due to sensory overload, these unbelievable scenes had seemed 'normal' and 'preordained' to me somehow, something that made complete sense and fit right in with everything else that had gone on.

The only thing I remember well from that period, besides the televised spectacle at the wall that day, was Sam Donaldson trying to explain that the crowd behind him had been chanting "Neues Forum zu lassen" during his live report some days earlier. Somehow he managed to make it sound Japanese!

Gene T

Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #26
torstenbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrentitle View Post
Ironically I was in Berlin exactly a month before the Wall fell to receive my award for service in the Berlin Brigade. Sadly I was not able to go back to Berlin until two weeks after I left company command in June 1990. Although it was just 8 months since the Wall fell East Berlin had already changed dramatically.
so was I, or rather 1 month + 2-3 days earlier, to take part in the parade in Berlin and then back to Zittau by cattle train during the night of the 7th, only to be told that our extended leave was cancelled and all had to stay in barracks on raised alert levels and of course, lots of speculations on what might be going on .... as we knew nothing ... Cheers, Torsten.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torstenbel View Post
so was I, or rather 1 month + 2-3 days earlier, to take part in the parade in Berlin and then back to Zittau by cattle train during the night of the 7th, only to be told that our extended leave was cancelled and all had to stay in barracks on raised alert levels and of course, lots of speculations on what might be going on .... as we knew nothing ... Cheers, Torsten.
you heard that very often in Interviews. They sent Unit's somewhere, quartered them in Schools or other places and left them alone.
Man, if somebody lost his mind in this and tried to "protect" the Fatherland without any clear Orders.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #28
torstenbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
you heard that very often in Interviews. They sent Unit's somewhere, quartered them in Schools or other places and left them alone.
Man, if somebody lost his mind in this and tried to "protect" the Fatherland without any clear Orders.
oh no, we were not left alone. We were on high alert at the OHS ... we just did not know what was going on in the country exactly and what was the true situation out there. We were being made ready to go out to Dresden Hauptbahnhof in full riot gear, if there had been another riot there with people wanting to board trains to Czech Republic for going on to Hungary ... Cheers, Torsten.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #29
Edelweisse
Association Member

I was working in HQ VII Corps in the Directorate of Public Works at Grenadier Kaserne from 1988-90. This event was amazing......and when I visited Berlin in 2003 ..I recall saying to my family that we're now in "East Berlin".... when we were staying in a B&B. It was crazy....

We visited Check Point Charlie in 2003...but from what I recall …..all the credit for the wall coming down was given to Mikhail Gorbachev and very little to no credit to President Reagan.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #30
Gordon Craig

I was posted to the Canadian Embassy in WSHDC during this time period. Interesting to watch this event from my home in Northern Virginia.

Regards,

Gordon