wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Old 07-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #31
vacollector

Fort Jackson SC.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #32
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
I was on my Sofa, a bit pissed that they stopped the Movie I watched nearly every 3 Minutes for a New's Break. 2 Day's later I got my first complete FDA from my cousin. The Helmet I sold for 450 Marks at that time, 1 Y-Strap for 70 the Belt Loops for 15 ea. and so on. Funny that Sturm bought some of these things, now he's selling them for nearly nothing.
Maybe to add, that my sofa was about a Kilometer away from the Wall at the south-western Border to the DDR to the Town of Teltow.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994
Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #33
Seigfried

British Military Hospital Muenster in Nordrheinwestfalen, BDR as part of BAOR. I got the train to Berlin for new year and have a DDR stamp on my old passport dated 010190! Good job the hierarchy never found out that I went!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #34
Lutfen
Association Member

I had been in Berlin in August ‘89, and remember thinking the wall wasn’t coming down any time soon. In November I was backpacking around Ireland and saw the extraordinary news footage of the wall being breached. I must admit that I found the crossing between Northern and Southern Ireland more sobering and a situation that was less likely to be resolved. Shows how crap I am at predicting the will of the people!

Michael

Last edited by Lutfen; 07-15-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Edit

Old 07-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #35
Tom B

I was watching on television in Louisville, Kentucky cheering as I watched the Commies go GOOD BYE ! Tom

Old 07-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #36
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

I was at Ramstein AB. I headed to Berlin one more time before returning to CONUS, after 7 years in Italy and Germany. 5 of those years I was assigned to 2 nuclear ground launched cruise missile Tactical Missile Wings. I went there in February 1990 in order to cross into the former DDR in civilian clothes, and also borrowed a sledgehammer to get my own pieces of the wall.

I left Germany in the spring of 1990 feeling that the mission was accomplished, and my relatives in the DDR were now finally free.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

"Those who stand for nothing fall for everything." - Alexander Hamilton

Interesting thread...
Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #37
leaftree
Association Member

Default Interesting thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seigfried View Post
British Military Hospital Muenster in Nordrheinwestfalen, BDR as part of BAOR. I got the train to Berlin for new year and have a DDR stamp on my old passport dated 010190! Good job the hierarchy never found out that I went!
That is a cool memento to have. Fascinating stories on this thread!

Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #38
ffuries

Stationed at Rhein Main AB (July 88 - July 92). I remember watching AFN TV and discovering all the excitement. My wife actually woke me up as I was working mids at the time

Brought back a nice chunk of the Berlin Wall. I figured the Wall would come down eventually, didn't expect it to happen in my lifetime or to see it in person.

I still have a copy of the Stars and Stripes newspaper, dated Wednesday, October 3, 1990 with the headline "Reunited Germans celebrate".

It was different seeing Berlin that way, considering I saw it as a military brat living at Bitburg AB 82-85, and Erding AB 71-72.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)

Last edited by ffuries; 07-29-2019 at 12:04 PM.