wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Old 05-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #31
paul heath

Mike,

You talking about the militaria show a few weeks ago at the VFW on old Austin highway??

I am finally in the process of buying a digital camera so I can join you guys in the posting . But, I have to see if my old 1997 laptop can support the software.

Paul Heath

Last edited by paul heath; 05-22-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #32
Mike G.

Yes Paul,

That is the one to which John was making reference. He took me there. Were you there too by any chance?

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 05-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #33
paul heath

Mike,

Yep, I was there until about 12:00. I picked up a few shoulder boards. Not much there, except the one guy with the Wache tunic.

Prob. just missed you.

Paul

Old 05-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #34
Mike G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul heath
Mike,

Yep, I was there until about 12:00. I picked up a few shoulder boards. Not much there, except the one guy with the Wache tunic.

Prob. just missed you.

Paul
Actually,

John and I were there until quite late. Maybe they should make everyone wear name tags .....or maybe not .

There was a really neat and interesting looking Africa Corps Tunic there. Is that the one to which you are making reference?

Also there was one vendor that did have DDR items specifically. He turned me on to a very interesting book authored by a woman (Daphne Berdahl) in 1999, which was a sort of "Study" if you will, on the East German Culture and way of life relevant to the Cold War. I hope to acquire a copy as it sounds like very interesting reading.

Paul, if by chance you also might be interested, the book is entitled Where the World Ended .

Sorry John and I missed you.

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Last edited by Michael D. Gallagher; 05-22-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #35
Mike G.

C,mon Forum Members,

Where are some more displays?

Old 05-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #36
paul heath

Mike,

Are we talking about the same guy? He had a grenz tunic for sale and a Wache regt tunic on display. All on top of a zelt.

Sorry I missed you. BTW, in your war room how many dark collar tunics are on display? Can you list what they are starting from the generals and going right? Those hats in the book shelves lookm great. I have somewhat the same idea in my display.

BTW, dying to display... Just working out the kinks b/t camera and computer.

Paul

Old 05-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #37
Mike G.

Hi Paul,

The Africa Corps TR Tunic was from a guy that specializes in TR Stuff.

But yes, there was one guy at the show that specializes in DDR memorabilia. The guy to which you are making reference. His name is Joe TELLEZ. A really nice guy.

About my, ahem, .....War Room. Actually, the photo only depicts a small corner. The back wall (hat display) is only showing half the back wall. There is another half not shown (Soviet stuff, which if I were to post, really belongs on the "Sister" Commie Bloc Forum).

And there is an indoor closet in which a whole bunch more East German as well as Soviet stuff is stored. And then, much like Ralph, a lot of my stuff currently is relegated to temporary existence in boxes, until I can get my room renovated the way I want, so I can display it. A lot of work and a long way to go yet. I'm not even close to where I want to be.

And of course, there is the salaried security guard in the corner (Not on camera) armed with a Brazillian Rossi 22 inch double barrell 12 guage outside hammers shotgun watching over my collection.

DDR NVA Specific.
This is just an estimate from a quick count.
I have about 40 Open Collar Tunics/pants including the one General Officer uniform.
I have about 20 Dark Collar Tunics/pants.

Of course I have all kinds of other NVA clothing such as overcoats, rain coats, and non-NVA clothing such as Grenz-Polizei, Drillich, and other non-open collar or dark collar items. Anyway, this stuff insures that my mannequins are gainfully employed. Although Pedro, my security guard, is not real keen on the mannequins. Says they talk to him when the lights are off. Says they say things to him like, "Hey Pedro, come over over to the Dark side, you'll like it, you'll see".

Actually, its my wife that has issues with the mannequins. Basically, she's decided to stay out of the war room.

And that's okay with me.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #38
Thälmannpionier

just added to my hat collection

female LSK hat

Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #39
Thälmannpionier

is this an early type overseas cap(Schiffchen)?

Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #40
Mike G.

Hi Thaelmannpioneer,

Both hats are examples of female headgear. The 1st hat is of early vintage. The Bullion Air Force Cockade is very nice.
Incidentally, the presence of the Staatswappen in the bullion Cockade instead of the bullseye, tells us the wearer of this hat served during the "Transition", which occurred in 1961. This is a very nice hat and worthwhile addition to your collection. Very nicely done.

The second hat appears to be of later vintage. There should be a date stamped inside the hat's lining that tells you when it was produced.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #41
Thälmannpionier

Thanks for your help Michael

the 2nd hat is marked : NVA 1855 X 53

cheers
Andreas

Old 05-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #42
Mike G.

There should also be a letter and Roman Numeral somewhere.

Something like III/P for example. That would for instance mean 3rd Quarter 1986.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #43
Mike G.

Okay,

To get this back on track.....

Does anybody out there have any "Displays" they would like to post examples of? They can be large or small, but should encompasse several items.

Can be medals, badges, articles of clothing, Awards/Documents, Headgear, or just DDR collectibles of interest.

If you like what you've done, and wouldn't mind sharing, we certainly wouldn't mind looking.

Thanks,

Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #44
torstenbel

ok then, I already put it in another thread, but here is a pic of my only DDR related display/...note the NVA officer cap...? It is my very own, issued ot me in November 1989...that really is how I display it and very soon, I will add an NVA officer dagger to it somehow... Cheers, Torsten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Gallagher
Okay,

To get this back on track.....

Does anybody out there have any "Displays" they would like to post examples of? They can be large or small, but should encompasse several items.
Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (62.7 KB, 1973 views)

Last edited by torstenbel; 05-25-2005 at 08:41 AM.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #45
Mike G.

Torsten,

When you get your Honor Dagger, and get your display set up, be sure to revisit this Thread and to post the results.

I would recommend combining your Visor Hat, the Honor Dagger with Hanger, and your Parade Brocade Belt, all into one "Wall Display".

Cheers,