wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Bob Gowen latest update...
Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Default Bob Gowen latest update...

Hello all - I want to provide an update to you all related to Bob Gowen. As some may know, in the last few days Bob's website has been down. I talked with Bob most recently and he has said that he took his website down for good. It comes a time and Bob has decided he needs to step away from the DDR community which includes his business. During our discussion, he said that DDR collectors can still give him a call if they were looking for some items that they know he has.

We all know that Bob has been there since the beginning when the wall came down and his legacy will continue. However, he is passing his flag on to us to continue collecting no matter how small or large our collections are.

So even if you are not looking for something right now and you know Bob, please give him a call to say hello. He would appreciate it.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 10-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
tony james

Ralph
thanks for the update on Bob. Kinda shocked to hear this news .i started buying from Bob around 1990/92 which were my first dark collar tunics.he's one of the finest people that I've ever met and dealt with. i will certainly give him a call .

Old 10-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

You are welcome Tony.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
B. Jones

Ralph,

I started checking out Bob's website in 1998.

It's how I found out about your Vol I and II.

I purchased a few items from him over the last few years.

The other Gowen family members aren't going to keep the business?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
SCHUPO

Sorry to hear of Gowen's retirement. He could almost always dig around and find something specific that you were looking for. I picked up some nice MdI garments from him over the years.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Ingsoc75

A great guy to deal with. He hooked me up for a Halloween party on short notice about 10 years ago.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
vacollector

Sorry, to hear about Bob. I wish him all the best. I started with Bob many years ago when I first started in DDR collecting. I found him expensive at times but very helpful. I haven't talked to him since our fall out over the " first series fallschirmjager " qualispange. I am sorry to hear about his dog passing.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
Tom B

Very sorry to hear this news ! Tom

Old 10-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Sgt. Steiner
Association Member

I remember purchasing my first lot of NVA stuff from Bob back in the Fall of 1990. I believe he ran a Shotgun News ad. As I remember, you could get a winter cap in any size including a size 61, a late patter shovel and carrier and a zeltbahn for $50. Prior to the end of the DDR, almost all NVA material was unobtanium. Made a number of purchases from Bob after that before I quit collecting East German. Good guy.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #10
seb16trs

Nostalgia... here in Europe Bob Gowen is far away from us and postage from the USA is now dissuasive. But I had to deal with Bob sometimes, and always enjoyed a very kind partner. Sad to hear from the the end of a nice business!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Hello all - I want to follow up with another post that some may not have his phone number and would like to call him. His number is 252-830-5353.

Gowen Militaria
Old 11-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #12
Michael O'Keefe

Default Gowen Militaria

I am sorry to hear that Gowen Militaria will be no more. Since 2010, Bob Gowen significantly helped me out with XL DDR, and for several years afterwards.(There were others as well.) Hard to believe now, that my original and early correspondence with North Carolina was by Stamped Air Mail Letters ! Later speeded up into the 21st Century ! Unfortunately, whilst not Bob's fault, escalating Trans Atlantic Shipping Costs and a declining exchange rate, in later years, caused a smaller amount of business with NC. Further complicated by a 2017 House Move, making DDR a secondary consideration for some time after. I hope Mr. Gowen enjoys his retirement. I have helpful memories of him.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Thanks Michael for your comments.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #14
RedCatcher1986

I received my very first DDR uniform from Bob and he's gone out of his way to find some hard to obtain items from Germany for me so this is definitely shocking news to hear. Much luck and best wishes in retirement Bob!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
grobletan

I checked his website a few weeks ago and noticed that it was down. I feared the worst might have happened, but I'm glad to hear that is not the case. He was the start of my DDR collection.

Jeff