wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Cases and Packets Forum

Cases and Packets Forum All things related to the packages of Wehrmacht Awards.

Case for Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen
Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
mdj
Association Member

Default Case for Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen

was wondering, when I saw the case for Deutsches Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen on Thies auctions, if the case was really manufactured in WW2.
I am mostly reading on forums that it has never existed...Or maybe I am wrong. Anyone some thoughts on this specific case??

I dont have / cant upload a picture, but heres the link.

http://www.andreas-thies.de/pdf_34_a...n_S321_416.pdf

And here the text:

667 Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen. Zink bronziert, an Band, Im schönen Original-
Verleihungsetui. Dazu Miniatur an Nadel. Die Medaille mit Korrosionsspuren. Das Etui ist
extrem selten.
Zustand 2. 400

Suum cuique

Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
mdj
Association Member

anyone an opinion???

Martin

Suum cuique

Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
Allan P.

This type of case is regarded as being a fantasy piece, that is to say a case/box for the Deutsches Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen has not, so far as I am aware ever been presented that has been accepted as WW11 produced.

Allan

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

west wall
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
mar maskery
Expelled

Default west wall

hi martin,

i purchased a cased west wall many years ago and is the same as the one in your photo. i do not know if the case is correct.niemann lists one in his price guide,but no pictures. a cased west wall is shown in angolia's political awards book,but not the same as your photo,so i think cases do exist for these awards.

mark

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
RonR
Distinguished Contributor

Here is information from the book "For Fuhrer and Fatherland" by John Angolia page 79:

Hi
Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
kenneth wolfe

Default Hi

Yes you can capture the picture. Anyone can all you have to do is use the printscreen button (PrtScn). This is a standard feature on all keyboards and it will get around the picture protection sites use. It will capture everything you're currently viewing at the time you press the button. If you want just the item and none of the background then open the picture file "Microsoft office picture manager" select the edit function "crop" and cut the rest of the background out that you don't want. BAMM!! Now you have a picture of what you want. I know it sounds like a lot but it takes like 30 seconds. Really!

About the case I know that everyone here does not believe in this case but I'm not so convinced. I know that everyone thinks as soon as you print a book that you are infallible but I don't think so. Not that I don't respect the opinions of John Angolia because I do but can he make a mistake sure everyone on can. The reason that I say this is that a friend of mine has one that I believe fits the characteristics of a time period case of any sort. His has:

1. The satin type material normally seen in EK case.
2. It has a normal hinge. It’s bronze but this can also be seen in EK cases by uncommon makers.
3. There's cotton underneath the satin not foam
4. The small ribbon that holds the Westwall ribbon is also satin not elastic
5. Nothing fluoresces under UV light, not the satin or the paper and I'm not talking about the things that are close the ones where people use a defluorescer to make something appear as if it doesn't fluoresces.

I know that there are many fakes out there and that maybe they all are but maybe they’re not all fake.

Kenneth

Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
mdj
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Pilch View Post
This type of case is regarded as being a fantasy piece, that is to say a case/box for the Deutsches Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen has not, so far as I am aware ever been presented that has been accepted as WW11 produced.

Allan
Allan,

I have heard that a few times but I doubt that assumption as a well respected auctioneer Andreas Thies is auctioneering it as a wartime example. With his knowledge and experience why should he auction it if its supposed to be a fantasy piece?? I doubt that.

Martin

Suum cuique

Hi
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
kenneth wolfe

Default Hi

Did you try using the info for capturing pictures yet. It should help you get around picture protection. I use this on sites when I want the picture for my files. It works!

kenneth

Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Allan P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdj View Post
Allan,

I have heard that a few times but I doubt that assumption as a well respected auctioneer Andreas Thies is auctioneering it as a wartime example. With his knowledge and experience why should he auction it if its supposed to be a fantasy piece?? I doubt that.

Martin
I do not doubt Andreas Thies knowledge. But we can all get it wrong sometimes.

Trust in your own knowledge not in others.

Allan

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

Old 03-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
mdj
Association Member

[QUOTE=Allan Pilch;2502519]I do not doubt Andreas Thies knowledge. But we can all get it wrong sometimes.

Trust in your own knowledge not in others.

Allan[/QUT

Thats true for sure.

But I want to be careful with assumptions about fantasy pieces. I know there are some/many, but not all. So whats the base we often conclude that one piece is a fantasy piece or an original? Is it because there is no full provenance or maybe we havent seen the item before? Thats really risky and we should be aware of that.

Amen...

martin

Suum cuique