wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Photos and Paper Items Forum

Photos and Paper Items Forum Awards Document and any photo related to the era.

SS-Obergruppenführer Franz Breithaupt?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
DocumentsGuy

Default SS-Obergruppenführer Franz Breithaupt?

Greetings All,
I was doing some research on the Deutsche Lebensrettungsgesellschaft (DLRG) and discovered that its last leader was apparently a guy named Franz Breithaupt who, according the DLRG website, was promoted to SS-Obergruppenführer and General der Waffen-SS in 1944. I can't find any photo of the guy or any other info. Does he exist? Anyone got a photo I can use in my book (I'll give the owner full credit).

Old 07-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
weinsoldner

I know that there was a Franz Breithaupt. Wasn't he a judge or something??

Peter

Old 07-10-2005, 03:39 AM   #3
max history

Franz Breithaupt was born in Berlin on 8th December 1880.
During the First World War, he saw active service with the 42nd, 395th, 476th and 375th Infantry Regiments and retired from the army in November 1911 with the rank of Major.
From 1919 until 1921, Breithaupt was a member of the Freikorps ‘Erhardt’ and Regiment Grosse Berlin. In these early years, he was an industrialist by profession.
He joined the Stahlhelm on 1st April 1929 and resigned from that organisation on joining the SA on 27th November 1931. Breithaupt held the rank of SA-Sturmbannführer. He joined the NSDAP on 1st August 1931 and was allocated Party membership number 602 663.
He transferred to the SS with the rank of SS-Sturmbannführer on 1st December 1932, becoming Reichsführer-SS Himmler’s adjutant. Breithaupt’s SS membership number was 39719. He was promoted to SS-Obersturmbannführer on 31st July 1933 and to SS-Standartenführer on 9th November 1933. Another promotion on 9th November 1934 saw him take command of the Berlin SS Garrison as SS-Oberführer, but he remained as an adjutant to the RFSS. On 1st April 1936, his records show that he was Commander SS Garrison Berlin on the Staff of the SS Central Office. The same year he was nominated as Leader of Sports District 3 (Brandenburg) of the Reich Federal Physical Training Scheme. He was the publisher of ‘Deutscher Sport’ and Leader of the German Trotting Sport Association.
On 9th November 1938, Breithaupt was promoted to SS-Brigadeführer. As SS Garrison Commander Berlin, Breithaupt experienced various attachments to what later became the Waffen-SS. From 1st November 1939 for one month he was attached to the Command Staff of 8th SS-Totenkopfstandarte. On 28th July 1940, he was Leader attached to 5th SS-Totenkopfstandarte and became Commander of the 5th SS Infantry Regiment (Motorised) on 12th September 1940.
Breithaupt was appointed Police President of Breslau on 25th October 1940 and transferred to the Staff of the RFSS on 1st January 1942. From 1st March 1942, he was attached to the Sicherheitsdienst Central Office until appointed Chief of the SS Legal Central Office on 15th August 1942, when promoted to SS-Gruppenführer and Generalleutnant of Waffen-SS. Breithaupt was also a member of the People’s Court. He was finally promoted to SS-Obergruppenführer and General of Waffen-SS on 20th April 1944.
Franz Breithaupt was shot dead by his aide, SS-Untersturmführer Karl Lang, at Berg-Starnbergersee, on 28th April 1945.

Source: “The SS Leadership Corps” vol. 1 by Max Williams. There are 10 photos of Breithaupt in this book.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
DocumentsGuy

Wow, thanks very much. Busy guy. Wonder how he found time to be Deputy Chairman, then Chairman of the DLRG?

Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
dadag07

Hello all,

do have anybody a photo fron this ss-Obergruppenfuhrer.

cheers,
Dadag07

Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Napalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadag07 View Post
Hello all,

do have anybody a photo fron this ss-Obergruppenfuhrer.

cheers,
Dadag07
Hi and welcome on board, just google his image
:-)
http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgur...icial%26sa%3DN

Franz Breithaupt
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
von Thoma

Default Franz Breithaupt

SS-Oberführer Franz Breithaupt.

Photo:http://www.sz-photo.de/suddeutsche-z...to-collection/

Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
max history

Welcome to WAF von Thoma. Please note that the request for a photo of Breithaupt was made over 5 years ago and I am sure the original poster has by now seen many photos of the subject. I know you are keen to post many photos from the internet (as over on AHF), but please also remember that most members here also have accessed those sites and a lot of the photos you post have been seen before. If you can post images that have not been seen before, that would be more beneficial to the research and collecting world rather than just posting photos for the sake of posting photos.
Regards,
Max.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
karlo

well...id like to know the circumstances of his death....anyone?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
crfraser

I've seen lots of references to him being assassinated by his SS aide but no reason given. Have to admit I am curious too although I haven't done any specific research, Breithaupt is of interest to me as he was in charge of making pension and other support arrangemens for the families of July 20 1944 plotters who were executed. Perversely, Hitler decided that they be cared for by the state and Breithaupt was in charge of that effort.

Colin

Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
von Thoma

Mr.Williams, is not my intention to harm his published works, with the photos that I post.
Sincerely

Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
ramon
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Thoma View Post
Mr.Williams, is not my intention to harm his published works, with the photos that I post.
Sincerely

I, on the other hand, appreciate your posting of this image.

I'm not quite sure what ol' Max is on about, but, at times, he does tend to be imperious over minor things.

Ramon

Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
Raphael1

Nice picture Thoma!

Regards,

Raphael

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #14
max history

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon View Post
I'm not quite sure what ol' Max is on about, but, at times, he does tend to be imperious over minor things.

Ramon
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Thoma View Post

Sorry, I thought I made my point clear. Since recently joining over at AHF, von Thoma has posted numerous photos from the internet. Nearly all are well circulated and have been seen before and one or two members have pointed out to him that he appears to be posting images just for the sake of posting photos regardless of whether or not they are well known. After a while, it gets a bit tedious seeing the same old image churned out over and over again and it adds nothing of value to a thread. It might seem minor at the moment, but I was just hoping that von Thoma's posting policy does not follow the same route here as on AHF. His posting of the Breithaupt photo here on a thread which has not had activity for nearly three years, does tend to indicate that he searches for people on the forum and then tries to find a photo of them to post, no matter how old the original request (this one 5 years ago) or how common the image.
As for damaging any publication, Breithaupt was covered in my first volume of SS Leadership Corps, published 7 years ago, so I don't see how his posting of this photo (which is incidentally on p186 of the book) can harm the publication.
I have nothing against posting photos, but I think that photos which have been well circulated before on the internet or in books over several years do not add value to any forum. Just trying to keep the forum innovative and at the sharp end of research.
Regards,
Max.

Last edited by max history; 01-27-2011 at 03:39 AM.