wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Militaria Forum

Imperial Militaria Forum The discussion and study of Imperial German awards and of their Central Powers Allies from the First World War

Archibald Forbes: Medal ID Exercise
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
GHP
Distinguished Contributor

Default Archibald Forbes: Medal ID Exercise

I first came across Archibald Forbes in Stephen Previtera's The Iron Time: A History of the Iron Cross. Forbes' photo and story is on p. 102 in the first edition (1999) and p. 104 in the second edition (2007). The story intrigued me not only because Forbes received the 1870 Iron Cross Second Class (noncombatant), but also because of the other unnamed Orders and decorations he wore in that photograph.

I finally found a good-sized image online:

However, I was only able to identify a couple of medals, so I searched the internet and found an 1882 news clipping describing the medals:
Quote:
The Orders of Knighthood of the Star of Roumania, St. John of Jerusalem, Charles III of Spain, Remembrance Cross of Saxony, and St. Stanislauss of Russia, the Iron Cross of Prussia, the Takova Cross of Servia, the Roumanian Cross of Danube, and the Russian, German, Servian, and Roumanian war medals.
The reporter cited 12 orders and medals; the photo shows 13. I was able to identify only 10 of the worn medals; with the WAF readers' assistance, perhaps all the orders and medals can be identified.

Starting with the Order he wears around his neck (Commander grade or above), we have:

Neck Order: The Order of the Star of Roumania (Commander?)

Chest, first row:

1. St. Stanislauss of Russia [2nd Class w/Swords -- Military Division]

https://www.numisbids.com/sales/hosted/nys/031/image02014.jpg

2. Iron Cross of Prussia [Non-combatant]

3. St. John of Jerusalem

Though, I'm puzzled at the light-colored ribbon instead of the normal black ribbon.
Quote:
"...Until 1871 the Badge was an eight-pointed cross in white enamel, embellished with lions and unicorns and surmounted by a sovereign crown, while the Star was without embellishment. In 1871 the embellishment was removed from the Badge
also...."

Source: Charles W. Tozer, O.St.J., The Insignia and Medals of the Grand Priory of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, (J.B. Hayward & Son: London, 1975), p.19.
4. Charles III of Spain

Second row:

1. Takova Cross of Servia

Forbes' Order is without the crown.

2. Remembrance Cross of Saxony; Official name: "Ehrenkreuz für freiwillige Wohlfahrtspflege im Kriege, 1870-1871" [Honor Cross for Volunteer Humanitarianism in War].

3. Unidentified

4. Unidentified

Third row:

1. Unidentified. [Does not look like the Prussian War Medal]

2. Roumanian Cross of Danube ["Crossing the Danube" 1877-1878]

3. Russian War Medal

4. Servian [Serbian] War Medal ???.

Missing in Action from the carte de vista:
"German War Medal"
"Roumanian War Medal"

Cheers!
--Guy Power

[NOTE BENE: If any of the above images are your property, and you object to my using it, please let me know. I just grabbed what I could find on Google search. ]

Last edited by GHP; 01-05-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
saschaw
Forum Sponsor

His Russian St. Stanislas order is a 3rd class. The 2nd is a neck cross.

I can add 2nd row, 3rd medal is the prussian war 1870/71 medal, in steel on noncombatant ribbon:

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
GHP

Thanks Sascha! That helps.

--Guy

Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
GHP

I finally found the Romanian bronze medal for the participation in Russo-Turkish war c1877-1878 [second medal from right]:

I think this is the unidentified 4th medal, Row 3. The ribbon in the photo has a dark center stripe and two light stripes [possibly the red-yellow-red stripes] on either side. And the shape of the center roughly equates to the image above.

--Guy